EP 101 - Children of the Gods
|Children of the Gods|
Season 1 Episode 1
|Original Air Date:||July 27, 1997|
|Written By|| Jonathan Glassner|
|Directed By:||Mario Azzopardi|
|Preceded by:||Stargate (Movie)|
|Followed by:||The Enemy Within|
Colonel Jack O'Neill retired from the military a year ago after leading an expedition through the Stargate, an ancient portal which allows instantaneous travel to other galaxies. After an attack on the Cheyenne Mountain base through the Stargate, Jack is called back to duty to explain how it could have happened if they had destroyed the gate on Abydos, the world he visited through the Stargate, on his original mission. Jack confesses to not destroying the gate, and in fact, leaving Dr Daniel Jackson alive and well on Abydos with a new wife.
General Hammond, who is now in charge of the Stargate, gives Jack some time to see if the attack came from Abydos. Jack is joined on the mission by Kawalski and Ferretti of the original mission, and Dr Samantha Carter who is an astrophysicist and Captain in the US Air force.
On Abydos they discover Daniel is living quite happily with his wife Sha're. Skaara, the boy who took to Jack on his original mission, is very pleased to see him back. Daniel has discovered a giant cartouche covered in hieroglyphics that seem to be a map of many Stargate's throughout the galaxy.
Unfortunately, while they are looking at this some aliens come through the gate and kidnap Sha're and Skaara. Many are injured in the fight with the aliens but Ferretti, despite being wounded, was able to see the hieroglyphic code the alien's entered and Jack and Daniel are determined to follow and rescue Sha're and Skaara.
They return to Earth with their wounded and track the aliens to a planet known as Chulak. There are captured and put in prison with many other prisoners. There they discover Sha're is now Apophis' queen, her body having been taken over by a parasitic Goa'uld snake creature. Ra was one of these creatures.
They can't save her but can they save themselves and the innocent people on the planet before they're killed by the Goa'uld guards and before General Hammond sends a nuclear bomb through the gate?
 General Blooper
- Carter argues that there must only be the two Stargate's because they had "tried hundreds of symbol permutations using Earth as the point of origin and it never worked." There are thirty-eight symbols and six places to put them (the point of origin goes seventh and never changes) and we can't use a symbol twice. Thus, there are 1,987,690,320 (38*37*36*35*34*33) possibilities. Trying a few hundred of them means nothing.
 Mistakes During Filming
- Two symbols' places on the DHD switch places in this episode
- When Jack was with Kawalsky is his quarters, Kawalsky had the "Captain" rank pin instead of Major
- In Abydos, during the outside scene the sand is yellow-ish but in the background where the Great Pyramid is, the sand is red coloured, that's because the Abydos scenes where filmed in Yuma, AZ and they just pasted the Great Pyramid onto the background.
- If you watch when they use the elevator to go down to the SGC the "stock footage" is actually of the elevator going up. Look at the cables at the left of the screen, the loop hangs and gets bigger.
- When Apophis's servants were cutting the clothes off the women, you can clearly see that they didn't actually cut their clothes off but faked and also you can hear the ripping sound that occurs when you tear Velcro off
 Inconsistent to Movie
- If you watch the Stargate movie, you will see that the automatic weapons ran out of ammunition. So how are Skaara and the other kids able to put up a fight against the Jaffa? Even if SG-1 brought new ammo along for them, they were still guarding the gate room (from Jacks team) using empty guns
 Mistake in Script
- Jack said that six hostile aliens (Jaffa) came through the gate when eight actually came through.
- Carter claims to have flown multiple hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War, but at no point in the series does she wear any of the three ribbons authorized for participation in the conflict OR air crew (or other appropriate) wings
- In the scene where the Goa'uld are choosing new hosts, the Jaffa do not pull aside the curtains from Apophis' litter, forcing him to stumble through them in a clumsy -- and decidedly un-god like - fashion.
- The woman that the Jaffa took from the SGC said she was a Sergeant in the USAF but she had the senior airman insignia on her uniform.
 General Notes
- The sergeant escorting Jack to the SGC had the major oak leaves clusters on his shoulders
 Episode Trivia
- Sam: "It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a dialling system for the Stargate"
It was this line which got Amanda Tapping the role of Samantha Carter in the series, as RDA the lead actor was the lead character in MacGuyver.
|Hammond: Have you thought of writing a book about your military exploits?|
O'Neill: My work over the past 10 years has been Classified so I'd have to shoot anyone who actually read it. (pause) It's a joke, sir
|Carter: I logged over 100 hours in the Gulf War. Is that tough enough for you or are we going to have to arm-wrestle?|
|The SGC send a box of Kleenex through the Stargate to Abydos for Daniel Jackson:|
O'Neill: Well, they could be blowing their noses right now.
|O'Neill: (to Samuels) Could you please shut-up, Mr. glass-is-half-empty.|
|O'Neill: Oh, this has nothing to do with you being a woman. I like women. I've just got a little problem with scientists.|